The future of photography and videography is in Canon’s hands, with five 2019 EISA Awards
Canon Europe has been recognised as an industry-leader, with the European Imaging and Sound Association (EISA) honouring Canon with five prestigious accolades. The 2019 Awards showcase Canon’s unrivalled optical excellence and heritage, with the awards going to the EOS RP alongside RF and EF lenses. Since the high-profile launch of the EOS R System in September 2018, Canon has redefined photographic boundaries, designing bodies and lenses to expand shooting possibilities for amateur and professional photographers alike – which is reflected in this year’s awards.
Canon is proud to have been awarded:
Canon EOS RP named EISA Best Buy Full-Frame Camera 2019-2020
RF 28-70mm F 2L USM named EISA Lens Innovation 2019-2020
RF 50mm F 1.2L USM named EISA Standard Prime Lens 2019-2020
RF 24-105mm F 4L IS USM named EISA Standard Zoom Lens 2019-2020
EF 600mm f/4L IS III USM named EISA Super-Telephoto Prime Lens 2019-2020
For decades, Canon has been developing the core components of imaging, using in-house research and development across the full line-up from mirrorless bodies to EF lenses. The expertise and technical knowledge in place create innovative and award-winning products – developed in-line with technological advancements and end-user feedback, the EOS R System incorporates the best of the original EOS world. The RF lens mount’s short back focus and wide 54mm mount diameter has made it possible for Canon optical engineers to have the degree of freedom to create a new generation of optics – providing balance between reducing the size of the system, high-quality images and high-spec performance.
Earlier this year, Canon bolstered its commitment to the future of the EOS R System, by showcasing a robust lens roadmap, consisting of six RF lenses to be launched during 2019 and an expanded range due in 2020. As well as updates to the EOS R System expected in the future, including silent, fast and smooth autofocus, and constant aperture. With a strong focus on developing new technologies, Canon is creating tools for the future of imaging – utilising the EOS R System, expanding capabilities and providing versatile products across the full line-up, from full frame mirrorless to DSLR.
‘Canon has a long-standing reputation of delivering best-in-class products, built on the foundations of the three core components of imaging; lenses, sensors and processors. These pioneering products span the full line-up – from photography, to cinema and broadcast – which is something we are hugely proud of,’ commented Yuko Tanaka, Product Marketing Director at Canon Europe.
“We have a desire to continuously innovate, which keeps Canon at the forefront of optical excellence as our expertise shapes the industry standard for lens development. These awards from EISA reinforce that we’re 100% committed to delivering an incredible imaging experience for every one of our customers – we are happy that EISA recognises the value of our EOS R System, bodies and lenses. Our optical heritage continues to pave the way for future innovations within the industry.’
Looking ahead, Canon will continue to invest in the unrivalled EOS world, with a range of cameras and RF and EF lenses, setting new heights in image quality, optical excellence and performance – all while satisfying the ever-evolving demands of its customers. Voted by a respected and well-known panel of judges, consisting of editors from 60 internationally respected consumer electronics magazines across 30 countries, EISA continues to celebrate products that combine the most advanced expertise and desirable features in their class. In recognition of
Canon’s award-winning products, the EISA judging panel delivered the following citations:
• The Canon RF 50mm F1.2L USM is a no-compromise, large-aperture standard lens that shows off the potential of the new EOS RF lens mount. Combining a very bright maximum aperture with impressive sharpness from f/1.2, the lens also renders attractive bokeh thanks to its 10-bladed aperture. The convenient lens control ring allows the photographer to adjust shooting parameters. The assembly of fine optics is built for heavy use and to withstand challenging shooting conditions, while delivering amazing results across a wide range of subjects including portraits and wedding photography.
• The EISA Standard Zoom Lens 2019-2020: Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM. This high-quality all-round zoom lens is the perfect everyday companion for Canon’s new breed of EOS R full-frame mirrorless cameras. It offers an extremely versatile zoom range that covers everything from wide-angle landscapes to short-telephoto portraits, while providing consistently high image quality at all apertures and focus distances. Canon’s Nano USM focusing provides silent and accurate autofocus for both stills and video shooting, complemented by the highly effective optical image stabilisation that keeps images sharp when shooting with long shutter speeds. Robust weather-sealed construction rounds off an impressively versatile package.
• The Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM is the first standard zoom lens for full-frame mirrorless cameras to maintain a constant aperture of f/2 throughout its entire focal length range. This allows photographers to limit depth of field to a degree previously only possible with prime lenses and allows faster shutter speeds in low-light conditions. The image quality and sharpness are excellent throughout the zoom range, while the USM motor provides fast and reliable autofocus. The lens is a spectacular demonstration of what can be achieved with the EOS R mount.
• With the EOS RP, Canon has delivered an impressively affordable entry into the full-frame mirrorless market. Based around a 26.2-megapixel sensor and the powerful DIGIC 8 processor, it’s capable of delivering excellent image quality. Another strong point is the very sensitive 4779-point hybrid autofocus system, which enables reliable focusing in extremely low light. The compact and lightweight body can be used with both the outstanding new RF lenses and with all existing EOS EF and EF-S lenses using Canon’s EF-EOS R mount adapter. The streamlined control layout and fully articulated LCD touchscreen also make the camera very easy to use.
• Like its smaller sibling, the EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III USM, this super-telephoto lens uses a completely new optical design to deliver outstanding image quality, along with magnesium alloy and titanium construction to reduce weight without compromising on strength or quality. The ultrasonic motor provides extremely fast autofocus, while the built-in image-stabilisation technology enables handheld shooting with shutter speeds up to four stops slower than normal. Thanks to the f/4 aperture, the lens can be combined with the Canon Extender EF 2.0x III to give a focal length of 1200mm while maintaining autofocus.